Am I getting proper value

Home Forums Share Your Hand Am I getting proper value

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Casey
    Participant

I open $15 mid position with AQ of clubs. Late position calls. Flop comes Q94, with two hearts. I c-bet $20, late position calls. Turn is 2 of hearts. Flush gets there, but I keep going, betting $35. He calls. Turn is Q of diamonds. I check, planning on calling a reasonable bet. Late position checks it back and mucks his hand when I show.

After he called my turn bet, I got scared he was calling with a flush. What else is he calling with? Only other reasonable possibility is a set.

Did I miss value here? Or is that a reasonable check?

Brad Owen
    Keymaster

Hi Casey,

Was this a 2/5 game? Getting two streets of value is pretty good with your hand on that board. I likely would’ve checked turn for pot control and bet river if he checked back. I think all the hands that have value that you’re beating on the river will check back aside from hands containing a Q. There won’t be many hands he should be turning into bluffs either. Like I said in the beginning, two streets of value is good. Another train of thought that is successful is to bet until you’re raised.

Casey
    Participant

Lol! That’s some good reasoning right there. I like the check on the turn for pot control. Only problem is, the tables I play at can be hyper aggressive, so if I check when a flush is on the board, I am almost certainly getting raised all the way down, which can be difficult to navigate. Two streets of value does seem good, those trip queens just made me feel like maybe I should have been getting more.

It was a 1-3, but it plays closer to a 2-5 cuz pretty much everybody opens with 12-18. It’s fun cuz the pots are big, it sucks cuz the buy in is only 300. As aggressive as the 1-3 tables get around here, it makes it hard to play some times without getting all the money in all the time. It can be profitable though, you just have to play pretty snug.

Thanks for getting back to me Brad! I hope you are feeling better and things are looking up. All your videos you were putting out were a godsend!

Brad Owen
    Keymaster

Thanks man, all good now. My train of thought now looking back on this hand is that I’d likely bet bet bet and then if I got raised I’d fold. It’s a good way to do things unless draws miss and you want to induce a bluff from your opponent. Where is the location of this game you were playing?

K Nguyen
    Participant

I like the check on the river to induce a bluff. If the villain hit a flush on the turn, he would likely raise when you bet. So what would you do if the villain raise large on the river? Would you call?

Casey
    Participant

Hey, good to hear man! I like the bet til I’m raised approach, but then I have to actually fold when I get raised. I’ve detected one of the main issues I have is calling raises. Ever so often I hero call correctly, but the ratio to them having it far out weighs them not having it. It’s hard to do when I get check raised when I have top/top, but they always seem to have it!

The name of the place this hand happened at is the Red Dragon up here in Seattle. It’s a nutty game, that’s for sure.

When are you and Andrew going to come up this way for a M.U.G.? It’s been awhile and I wasn’t aware when you all came up last time. I’m there when you guys do!

Casey
    Participant

@K Nguyen,
    He would raise with the nut flush, but probably not otherwise. If it wasn’t the nut flush I would think he’d just call me all the way down or bet turn and river if I checked them.
    As it played, with both of us checking the turn, I was planning on calling any bet, but it would have been a close call… A large raise may have gotten me off of it, but I am a calling station, lol. Checking the river to induce the bluff isn’t a bad idea either, but what bluffs does have there J10? Maybe K9 suited? I’m not sure how often I’d have to be right to call a river bet there..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar