Do I fold the river or check call?

Home Forums Share Your Hand Online Play Do I fold the river or check call?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shane
    Participant

Had only played a few hands so I do not know these players yet. I don’t know if I played this whole hand bad or if I should have just check/called the river or folded to the raise or did I play it right?

http://www.sharemypair.com/smpweb/smpviewdetails/feed_id/31756

Mike Springett
    Participant

Hi Shane,

The call preflop was pretty standard for sure, so no real comments there. Maybe even raise the flop if you feel that your opponents see you as an ABC nit.

On the flop, I would’ve folded. Betting into 2 players definitely signifies a strong hand, especially considering the potential flush. Mid pair with a weak kicker just doesn’t seem to have any real hope. Maybe your opponent could have a hand like 66 and below, but that’s the lowest portion of his range. I’d say >80% of his range consists of J9 and better, considering how wet the flop is – the other 15% are flush draws and the other 5% are bluffs. I understand your call though as it’s easy to put your opponents on bluffs, but you need to realise that even the craziest maniacs aren’t always gutsy enough to bluff there :-p

If I were you, I would feel very uncomfortable on the turn, since there is that possible straight and a few gutshots/flush draws out there. There is even that possibility now that your opponent has a full house and that you’d only really be drawing to 1 out (the case 8). However, trips is usually very strong and (like I pointed out) he could easily be going aggro with a flush draw.

As you wanted to talk about the river, the main thing is that you are aware that bet-calling is almost always a mistake, as there’s already a lot of money in the pot. Also, the flush draw missed, so your opponent could’ve wanted to see you make a crying call with a pair + flush draw. If anything, your opponent was lucky that you didn’t have a full house after the call, but at the same time, I understand that trips is very rarely foldable. I’d say the best thing there would’ve been to check-call, as checking could easily represent a missed flush draw along with other marginal hands.

Good luck in the tables and with your future hands Shane!

Peace out,

Mike

Dan
    Participant

Whats up Shane,

I think your hand needs to be a raise or fold here pre flop, preferably a fold for me, to avoid situations like this to begin with. But since you called, I wouldve check folded on the flop. I just dont think you hit the flop hard enough to continue here, especially with two other players.

Again, since you did call and turned a set, I like the check/ call. On the river, I think it is a check call, or a bet/fold given the strength of buttons range here. Im not really in love with buttons raise on the river either. He is usually only getting better to call him like full houses etc.

I was in a similar situation as the button a few days ago, and I posted it in on here if you wanted to take a look. Topic is called PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK ON THIS GROSSS SPOT!!!

I wasnt able to put it into ShareMyPair because it would not let me get past the first page where you enter the blinds and all that. Any help on how to input hands would be great also.

Hope my thoughts helped man!

Shane
    Participant

Thanks you for all the input on the hand guys. I really appreciate it. Also Dan, the share my pair page was not working for me either. I was using google chrome and I could not get passed the first page as well. I talked to someone at sharemypair on facebook and they suggested I try a different browser. I only have explorer as my other option but it did work on there so if you are still having problems with it try something besides chrome if that is what you are using. Once again, I really appreciate the input on this hand. Thanks again!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar