Folding a Rivered King-high Flush in 5k Pot

Home Forums Vlog Hands Folding a Rivered King-high Flush in 5k Pot

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brad Owen
    Keymaster

http://www.sharemypair.com/smpweb/smpviewdetails/feed_id/32552

Above is the link to a hand that I played against the same rec player that I folded the trips to in another hand I just posted in the “Vlog Hands” section a few minutes ago. You may want to look at that post first so you have some background here. This time it’s much later in the night/morning. We’re still playing 2/5 with a mandatory $10 straddle on the button. The share my pair app doesn’t accurately show what happened preflop so I will describe it below.

It’s around 8am. We’d been playing for 10 hrs. The rec player limps in for $10. He’s proven to be an absolute nut at this point. He’s been constantly bluffing. He was in for $4k on the night and was down to $1k but had recently turned his luck around by hitting lots of cards and he was getting paid since he had a wild image. My friend Jeff, who has been in a few of the vlogs, raises to $50. I call in the big blind with KTcc. The rec player also calls. Three of us see the flop.

The flop comes QJ4r. We’ve got an open-ended straight draw, backdoor flush draw, and one over. I check. The rec player checks, Jeff bets $80. No way I’m folding. I call. The rec player calls.

THe turn is the 5c. Great card for us. Gives us a flush draw. I check. The rec player for some reason decides to bet $125. Jeff raises to $390. Everyone is deep. I’m somewhat concerned that my flush draw may be no good but I have so many draws to the nuts that I can’t fold. I call hoping the rec player won’t re-raise. My hand is pretty much face up at this point. It looks like I have a very strong drawing hand. Now the rec player puts in a tiny re-raise to $750. It’s a play that makes absolutely no sense regardless of what he has. It accomplishes almost nothing. At this point Jeff just flats. I can rule out any set, two pair, or overpair combinations that Jeff might have. Jeff only has $800 or so behind and I think he’d just be getting it in with all of those so I basically put him on drawing combos: A2-A3cc, AQ-AJcc, Q9cc, J9cc, J8cc. I have a few key blockers to other combos with the KTcc. The rec player could still potentially have two pair and set holdings.

The river is the Qc. We make the flush but it pairs the board. I don’t necessarily have to be too worried about Jeff having a boat but he could have a better and flush and I do potentially have to worry about the rec player having a better flush or boat. I check. The rec player shoves for $1600ish. It’s only about $800 for Jeff to call and he snaps. The rec player says, “Oh shit.” I wasn’t sure if it was genuine or if he had the nuts and was trying to induce a call from me. I tank and show KTcc face up then fold. There was a ton of action before the river and too many combos that could potentially have me beat. The rec player ended up having Q3o (he’s a maniac and the turn re-raise was one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen) and made trips on the river. Jeff had A2cc for the rivered flush.

Had I called rivered I’d have lost the main pot but I would’ve beat the rec player for the small side pot meaning that I would’ve pretty broken even on the $1600 call for that street (lost $800 to Jeff, won $800 against rec player). The times when the rec player has a boat or better flush I lose everything though. Had Jeff won with J9cc, I probably would’ve thrown up.

I think the way I played it was pretty standard. I just thought it was a very interesting hand and it was a really tough decision for me on the river. Let me know what you think.

Steven Young
    Participant

Very Tough spot. Heads up I think it is a call. But with Jeff in the middle and both players going all in before you the fold is good. Sick but good. Rec player has way to many crappy 2 pair combos that boat up.

Brad Owen
    Keymaster

Thanks Steven. Pretty much my thought on it too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar