Is it a slow roll?

Home Forums Share Your Hand Is it a slow roll?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DaBears
    Participant

I have two hands to go over so please let me know what you think of each.

Playing 2/5, I’m in middle position and player sits down just getting bounced out of a tournament. I know the player from playing at 1-2 tables while waiting for 2/5 to open. He sits in as the BB (1st hand) and I decide to call a limp caller with J6 suited, at the bottom of my range. BB then decides to bump it up to $20. We got 4 callers going to a flop of 7S 8S 10C. Checks around and the 9 of Clubs hits the turn. BB leads out for $55. I’m the only caller and the 9S complete the board. He decides to bet $100 and I decide to call in about 10 seconds. I wait for him to turn his cards over and he says he has a straight. He waits another 10 seconds until I show my Jack and he shows JQ suited. I was tilted, I just don’t get why you have to wait 30 seconds to show that hand, is it because I called to quick? It’s a 4 card straight board, saying you have a straight makes me think I’m chopping at worst at that point. Yes a lot of hands beat him but you’d be raised on 75% of them. I put him on JQ, it was a terrible call.

Second hand, I played terrible. UTG bets 25, I call with AJ OFF UTG+1 the button and small blind come along. Flop is 2 4 J rainbow. Initial raiser checks, I check it over to the button who is aggressive but he checks. Q turn to complete all 4 suites, checks to me and I bet 40. Only original raiser calls, he leads out for $85 on another queen river and I call within 10 seconds. He seems like he doesn’t want to show his hand, asks me if I have queen and then shows QT.

I will admit, when I call on the river thinking I’m best with not a strong hand, I call pretty quickly so maybe that’s why these players thought they were beat. BUT I thought both were handled poorly. They both had very good hands and were reluctant to show their hands after being called. If you don’t think its a slow roll, its just not good poker ettiquette. I left after the final hand, more because of how poorly i played it then what the kid did at the end.

Chuck M
    Participant

1st hand, I would’ve folded pf (especially in mp)
    But yeah, on the river, villain had been a little bit slow to show (he has to show first, he has nothing to gain by waiting to see your jack). He might had been scared of the flush (it’s true that a fullhouse woudda raised earlier in the hand). The extreme slowroll would’ve been for him to show you quad nines (lol) but yeah, i guess he was affraid you hit the spades draw…

2nd hand, I don’t think you played it that bad. Flatting pfr is ok since utg raiser must have a strong range, and you don’t want to iso yourself vs the top of his range by 3bettin. Flop is pretty dry, you could have bet there after villain checked. Even tho the board isn’t dangerous, you would’ve denied equity to overcards, and might have gotten value vs mid pocket pairs, maybe even small connectors/gappers who would’ve hit a gutter, or 4x…
    As played I don’t hate the bet on the turn (we could’ve checked back too)
    And I don’t hate the river call either, since villain checked his top pair on the turn.
    And again he was a little slow to show (almost nitty) trips is gonna win most of the time, he really has to fear QJ+ in your hand… But if he does, why didn’t he just x/c otr (as he did ott)

So yeah, those were borderline slowrolls, but maybe not as intentional as we could believe at first, imho

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar