JJ Cut off shove?

Home Forums Share Your Hand Tournaments JJ Cut off shove?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Colin Pike
    Participant

playing first live tournament ever. The table is legit insane, people are jamming like K/8 type hands. Rebuy period has just ended,

SB-500
    BB- 1000

UTG raises to 3000 ( this player is player a LARGE portion of hands, and raising at will, called an all in with 8/9 suited earlier)
    2 others call

I look down at J/J, sitting on about a 30BB stack( small stack at the table). I jam

UTG calls, others fold

He flips A/A

Almost sure I over played the jacks, but given the nonsense of the table, it felt ok. Am I trying to take advantage of the table here a little too much, or is that gonna be a positive EV play at that table??

Chuck M
    Participant

Im not a tournament pro, but imho, I think 30bb is a bit deep to get it in pf.
    I think we can either go with a preflop call, and play post flop, or 3bet to somewhere around 7.5-9k and decide if we want to call a 4bet or fold.

Maybe 3bet/fold JJ would be a bit of a disaster, so i guess I would lean towards a call (if villain is as loose as you say, you’ll be quite ahead of his range)

Congrats on your first live tournament 🙂 gg

DeeKay
    Participant

Chuck makes a good point, but I think you have to give a little more credit for an UTG raise. I get where you are coming from, but given that you are sitting at 30K. I like a call for two reasons. We are assuming you are facing a weaker hand, but we don’t know. If he has two overs, he’s going to call and now you’re racing for your life. Personally I don’t like to race for tournament life. If I get it in really good and lose, so be it. The 2nd reason is that you still have a ton of equity and showdown value in this hand, by shoving, you may have given up all that value.
    However, if the flop comes with no over cards… you’re still going to be in a heap of trouble when a very loose player makes a big hand. That’s just unfortunate and the way it goes sometimes.

Patrick Brennan
    Participant

The key here is that it was the end of the re-buy period. I’m guessing this was a daily tourney with a smallish buy-in of $130 or less? You have to take into consideration the fact that the rebuy period is over. People play completely different when the rebuy period is live. You’ll see players shove a bunch of weird hands… their just trying to build a big stack to play with for after the rebuy period. They don’t care if they lose because they’ll just buy-in again. Once the the rebuy period ends players tighten up and you’ll find those guys that were blasting before turn into tight aggressive players.

Regardless, I prefer a call with JJ and see a flop against an UTG open. You’re in position which gives you an informational advantage.

DeeKay
    Participant

I’m going to revise my answer here. Given what we know on this hand… and a little bit of his crazy play… I could like a 3-bet here. If you re-raise to $8k, he might put you all in as he’s showing strength, and then you can fold, or can still make that call thinking you are still good. But essentially with a super loose player, you want to build a big pot and take advantage of him likely playing a weaker hand. So 3-bet to $8k makes a nice pot, which is just what you want. Unfortunately, its bad timing. Especially if the flop comes all under cards, I would think I got exactly what I wanted and would rip it in post flop. If he beats you into the pot, still might think its AK, AQ.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar