Possibly worst fold I've ever made w Trips…

Home Forums Vlog Hands Possibly worst fold I've ever made w Trips…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brad Owen
    Keymaster

http://www.sharemypair.com/smpweb/smpviewdetails/feed_id/32551

Hey guys. Above is a link to a hand I’m going to put on a vlog shortly but I’m curious to see what you think and maybe to make you feel better about any bad folds you’ve ever made lol. With the Share My Pair app you’re a little bit limited when it comes to showing hands with straddle pots. Preflop the UTG player acts first and then if no one raises, the blinds act before the button straddler.

In this hand it folded to the big blind who called. I’ve seen him do some crazy things preflop (he is the player who limp 5-bet shoved on me w QJdd for $750 preflop in ep 38) but in this session and in the one prior session I played with him I hadn’t seen him do anything too out of line postflop.

I raise to $35 on the button with AQcc. The big blind calls. We’re heads up. The flop comes QQ7r. BB checks. I bet small because I want to keep him around. He calls. The turn is a 7h. Now there are two hearts and he leads for $75. I considered flatting and letting him bluff river but I thought if I made a small raise he’d stick around with any two pair hands and he’d certainly call with a queen. I thought he could have some draws but it seemed unlikely. Instead he raised to $775. It was $600 more for me to call. I didn’t think he’d be doing that with trips. I thought it would only be with a boat or as a bluff. Plus he had a decent amount of money behind and I’d have to call the river regardless of what it was. I know it doesn’t seem like there are many possible full-house combinations but I saw this opponent call with basically any two preflop multiple times and stick around on flops and turns with bottom pair and no draw. He called my preflop raise at one point with 95o. Q6 or Q7 couldn’t be ruled out as possible holdings.

This was a 2/5 game that turned into a 2/5 w a mandatory straddle. Generally in 2/5 people just aren’t bluffing for large amounts of money. We were playing short-handed and I was doing well against him and the others. I only had $240 invested in this hand. If I folded I felt I could still beat him for a lot of money over the course of the session. If I called and I was wrong I thought it might be tough for me to get out of the hole. I tanked for a long time and there was quite a bit of table talk. Ultimately I folded and he showed me A9o for absolutely nothing. I got outplayed :/ I felt pretty silly since if I called turn he almost definitely would’ve shipped river and I would’ve stacked him for a large pot. I was in for $1400 on the night. After that hand I was only up a few hundred but we played for several more hours and I ran my stack up to $3400 before it dwindled and I got into another huge hand with him that I’ll share on a another post.

This is a pretty embarrassing one to share because I was wrong and it is maybe one of the worst folds I’ve ever made. I just have been in some similar spots and even though I’ll be at the top of my range, the opponents always seem to have it, and I’ll make calls after getting reraised where I’m drawing nearly dead. Anyway let me know what you think and check out the KTcc hand that I’m going to post shortly.

Patrick
    Participant

I think you might have a Typo Brad. SMP flop is QQ6 but written above is QQ7. I cant imagine you folded AQ on a QQ77 board here so it must be QQ67.

Anyway, that’s a pretty gross spot. Do you think this guy plays at you like this (and the Ep.38 QJd hand) because he watches and knows you can make folds? Seems he takes some odd lines at you. Or does he do this with everyone?

It seems like in your thought process above you are willing to give him credit with Q6 or Q7 because of past play, but you didnt mention 66 or 77. Did you not think these were in play? I am just curious why. Especially if you are deep, I feel like calling off $35 to set mine against Bard Owen is a likely situation. But then again maybe he raises it up because preflop it folds to him in the BB with the button straddle on right? So you’re already heads up. I dunno. Seems like this guy plays to the beat of his own drum (playing against you at least).

Do you think this guy plays this hand the same way with KQ, QJ or QT? If the answer is yes, I think you have to call this off and just pay the man when you are beat.

I can totally see why you folded. With the turn lead/reraise the only things you can realistically beat is QK-Q9 right? I dont know if I would have been able to do it though (right or wrong) in a raised button straddle situation. Esp in the lower stakes, I find that people have a really hard time believing you actually have a hand when you are on the button straddle and come in with a raise. They defend wider which does allow Q6/Q7 to be more likely, but they are also more likely to play back at you when they think its unlikely that you connected. From the villains perspective, you raise to $35 pre, then bet down to $30 on the paired flop. To him this could be a Cbet with AK/JJ or really any 2 cards. So he floats. The turn gives him a little equity with his back door draw and so he puts in a blocker bet, you raise. He decides he is gonna make a play at you. I cant get into his head, but if your turn raise makes him believe you have AA/KK, he believes you are folding to his fireworks. The only scary hands for him are AQ 77 66. Im discounting QQ. And if he is wrong, he has outs vs AA/KK/AQ (although his hand does block aces… but the board blocks queens more)

I think at the end of the day you can take some solace in the fact that this player is going to make huge mistakes along the way (lets remember our QJd hand!). Along with that is going to come some high variance situations. This time you made the incorrect fold, but its the low variance route in a situation that you didn’t think you were good. There will be better spots where you are good and he 5-bet jams again on you. You cant be correct every time, but you will get another chance.

Thank you for sharing.

Henry
    Participant

The first thing you said in your video when he makes the small turn bet is: “It was a really strange line.”
    Prior to the turn you said in the video: “He played basically any two cards, so he could have anything.”
    Obviously we both have this knowledge with hindsight…If he’s got a boat, then why is he raising so huge on the turn? That is definitely a strange line…That said, on the river he would be out of position (I think you were button straddle?)… Not really sure what this means as far as how the bets would play out (if he opens on River or checks to you). Anyway, he’s a rec player! He could have a boat but why would he lead out on the turn?!

I don’t know if I could make that fold, but given your experience in 2-5 with 3-bet turns your fold is probably high-EV against regs. Rec-players… Well. It is a 4.5x 3-bet but it is a solid bet to look like a bluff. You used the ‘big bet must be bluff’ logic for another hand, so wouldn’t this apply here, especially vs. a rec player?

Here’s the other side: Could he be making this play with KQ? or QJ?

One more: Am I even saying anything worthwhile?

Thanks for the content, Brad!

Mister Al
    Participant

We’ve all been bluffed. Maybe he got into your head a bit. It just seemed a very tight fold overall to me but if you really believed he was ahead then of course you fold.
    I know that I likely shove here. He calls with any queen. that much we know. I would have stared in disbelief if he called and was ahead …….. but we now know he would have folded anyway.

Win a decent pot, pretend you bluffed and show him who’s boss. Class.

Aleksei Carrión
    Participant

The problem with folding AQ in this spot is that he’s repping a boat, so you’re gonna want to fold all of your draws that don’t block a boat (even if you hit with Jh9h, etc., you’re not always good). You don’t have hearts either, which makes it more likely he’s spazzing with Ax of hearts if he ever does that. Also, you have every boat AND quads, and you’re gonna want to ship it in with a couple of those combos. So if you’re folding AcQc, you’re not really calling with almost anything.

And people do spazz like this. When you get to later streets, people do all kinds of weird shit that you can’t predict. That’s where having good GTO fundamentals helps.

I would call, and then base my river decision on whether or not the river is a heart.

Steven Young
    Participant

I think you made a good assessment in the moment. You knew you could get money out of him in a better spot later.
    But I think you have to call in this spot. Sometimes overthinking can get you in trouble. But taking the low variance rout isn’t a bad thing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar