Right play??

Home Forums Share Your Hand Online Play Right play??

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Charles_B
    Participant

I’m playing a $1/$2 cash game online. I bought in for $200 and am up about $100 after several orbits. I am in MP. UTG +1 makes it 6$ (has a stack of $250).I look down at 96d I call and it folds around. I would like to note two things 1) 96 suited or unsuited is not in my range and I normally would lay it down. 2) We were playing 8-handed however, three people busted right before this hand and it is now 5-handed. I have been running well and thought it was worth a shot with such a small bet relative to my stack. The pot is $15 and was going two ways to the flop.

The flop comes Jd 6d Ah. The initial raiser checks and I put out a probe bet of $8. My opponent check-calls.

The pot is $31
    The turn is the 8d. My opponent checks. As of right now, I put him on either an Ace with a good kicker, J-10 or a KQ. None of the hands I am putting him on and suited diamonds. After hitting my flush I bet $25 for value but also see if he’s willing to gamble.

The pot is $81
    The river is the Ac. My opponent checks. The river makes me concerned but I expect him to miss the straight draw. And putting him on the AK, AQ, maybe AJ, or A10. I know that I am losing to AA or AJ. I don’t think he would check AA through to the river. So AJ is the only hand I’m concerned about and know there are several hands I am beating. I shove the remainder of my stack which is $261 (ik the size of the overbet) thinking he’s going to call with trip A’s and I get paid off or fold to the apparent flush.

He calls and flips over AJ making his full house on the river. I thought my read of the situation was right and just got unlucky on the river. I am looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks

I know some will ask but about my opponent. I don’t know much about him. I only was at the table for 2 full orbits before the hand. He seemed like a tight player on getting in a few hands with most of those him winning before the showdown. So I place him as tight with capable of bluffs.

Han
    Participant

I’m gonna start off with the game. Are you usually an online player or live player? Live $1/2 is not the same level as online $1/2, if I recall. Your competition is said to be tougher for online. Last I heard, online $1/2 is equivalent to live $5-10. You’d have to confirm yourself if this is still true.

Preflop: Even though your short-handed, this hand has a lot of reverse implied odds. Playing heads-up, in position against a strong range, and having the right odds are working for you. Calling here should be fine, but we’ve gotta tread carefully.

Flop: This board favors the villain’s range. Honestly, the villain should be betting here, because your calling range can continue on this board.

I don’t like your “probe” bet on the flop. At least the current school of thought doesn’t agree on “betting to see where you are at.” When villain check-calls here, he could have a draw that’s trying to get there cheaply and likely to out-kick us. If villian had an Ace here, I’m sure he would’ve bet, for the board is fairly wet, and he should be betting for value and deny equity.

Turn: So we make our flush. I like the bet after it is checked to you. You can get value from Jacks or a weak ace still.

River: That overbet is definitely not warranted. Sure, some players aren’t able to fold trip aces, but on this board texture, you will only get called by better. Worst hands, even trip aces, would have a hard time calling this overbet on the river. We want our opponent to call with weaker hands, but it’s really tough to find a weaker hand than ours, that will call the overbet.

Honestly, given the board, the run-out, we didn’t make an optimal decision on the river. I think an appropriate 1/2 – 2/3 pot bet would’ve been fine, and easy to get away when check-raised. Our actual hand is just too vulnerable here.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar