sb vs bb disaster

Home Forums Share Your Hand Tournaments sb vs bb disaster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rocky Wright
    Participant

hello have only started playing cards more frequently for about half a year and know my post flop game needs work.I know i made some mistakes this hand wondering what you all would have done different anything advice is much appreciated!

blinds are 5k/10 ante 1k everyone folds to the sm(190k) who raises pre flop to 20k i call in the
    bb(280K) wiht k2s
    flop: As9s6d
    sm bets 20k i call
    turn: 8c
    sm bets 30k
    i call
    river: Ac

sm shoves river (83k) i fold and show him my hand and he shows me the 52o bluff

im thinking now that i should have reraised shoved the turn or just call the river all in? what do yall think i should have done here?

Luke Myers
    Participant

Hi!
    I have been playing for about 6 Years now with a main Cash Emphasis. I do play tournaments and have done well for many years. In my experience and given the stack sizes, I actually like a raise on the flop. I see a lot of players be overly aggressive in a BvB situation. When i flop as big as the nut flush draw against a wide open i usually want to take it down right there. If the player shoots in a re-raise i don’t mind seeing all five cards with a strong draw and possibly the best hand against a smaller flush draw.

I think in this instance a raise on the flop takes it down. Pushing turn is a weaker play here with a flush draw in my opinion.

Would like to hear your opinion as I am always looking to play better in my tournaments.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Luke Myers.
    hjk
    Participant

I can be bluffed. It’s easy to say because everyone has been and they should admit it. In your situation, you are in a tournament and I usually say that if I don’t know where I am in a hand I fold. You get to stay in the game and another good hand should be around the corner. In this instance, I think Luke has it right.

Pushing turn is a weaker play hear with a flush draw in my opinion.

Patrick Brennan
    Participant

Considering both stack sizes and blinds I agree with Luke here. You both started the hand with what are likely below average stacks (you 28bb him 19bb). I’m guessing you had been playing the last few orbits pretty tight and he figured he could probably steal the blinds with a small raise pre-flop or win it post flop if you played passive).

When you call in these situations you have to think to yourself “what’s the best flop I can expect for this hand?” Calling with K2s to a min raise against a short stack and flopping the nut flush draw is almost the best outcome here. (Besides obviously flopping trips, the nut flush or a boat) Your only play was shoving the flop… every other play is too weak. Worst case scenario you’re opponent has AA (possible but unlikely) in which you still have 8 outs (7 if you miss the turn) to improve to the best hand.

Now you can fold pre-flop and decide not to play that hand out of position because likely your opponent is going to try to get it all in the middle if they hit any piece of it. And it’ll be hard for you to call an all in with only a one pair hand should you flop a pair of K with no draw.

Rocky Wright
    Participant

thank you all for the help! as soon as the hand was over felt like i was gonna be sick, but like you said hjk it did feel good just to still be in the tourney. i know this wont be the worst beat of the life but feels good to know the correct play thanks again everyone!

DeeKay
    Participant

Let me add one more wrinkle to this situation as I think there are several ways to play this hand. I don’t think there’s a right situation here. I don’t mind the call (as opposed to raise) pre-flop as your opponent range is huge and you’re hand isn’t very strong. Essentially you are hoping to catch a King with a potential flush play. But you catch the nut flush draw. After his c-bet, I’m ok calling as you aren’t sure where you are and drawing to the nuts. I’m also okay if you put in a raise to 80k. If he shoves, you could get away from it or snap it off as you will never be drawing that far behind. I would think its unlikely that he calls and then shoves on the turn. If he does, I would snap it off as it would seem like a weak read. Just depends on how aggressive you want to play the hand. Its hard enough catching something heads-up, so an aggressive play would make it very hard for your opponent to call. He’d have to have a big ace to continue.
    Realistically, I would have called pre-flop. Called the flop, and then folded the turn. You really have no idea where you are and you are now drawing pretty thin… I would conserve chips and play a better situation. Just one of those hands where its easy to get into a big hand for no reason. I just assume fold the hands we aren’t sure about and play the hands where we feel we are likely ahead.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar