Sorta value-bluffing ? … but it worked!

Home Forums Share Your Hand No Limit Holdem Sorta value-bluffing ? … but it worked!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

So, I’m playing a 5-5 meetup game in Austin. These details are not exact … but close. I’m BB with AJ hearts, and villain #1 is UTG+1 who limps, while a very solid player on the button makes it 40. Folding is boring, and I don’t plan on going to the wall pre-flop with this hand, UTG+1 has not shown a limp then 3-bet play all night, so I call, as does UTG+1. We are all deep with 1-2k stacks. The flop comes A64 rainbow (1 heart). I decide on a check-raise line to get some value from KK through 99, and besides, I still have some showdown equity. I think I could also rep a set and drive out weaker aces, but will need to slow down should I run into someone really committed. I check, as does UTG+1, and the button bets 150. I quickly toss in $400, UTG+1 folds immediately, the button tanks, asks ‘what are you telling me – you have a set of 6’s?’ After some thinking time he finds the fold. Later we discuss the hand, and he mucked AQ. He asked if I thought I was good, and I said yes … but I suppose I meant I was often more right than wrong, given I’m blocking with the Ace, etc. He seemed to walk away thinking he was ‘playing like a nit,’ or that I had no idea where I was in the hand. The reverse is true with regards to my impressions of him, but trying to see if I played it well. I suppose I won, but does this line make sense to anyone besides me?

David Wibel
    Participant

Hand breakdown and then my thoughts.

Pre-flop: I think either call or raise is fine, I would may trend more towards a raise depending on what I think of the BB. If I think BB is capable of raising light I would prefer a 3-bet. We have a good hand but I don’t think playing out of position without the initiative is a good idea.

FLop: I prefer a check call. Regardless of what we think of UTG+1 limp call range, BB could certainly have AK, AQ and sets. I don’t think you want to drive out weaker Aces since they have at most 4 outs and only 3 clean outs. Even with the Raise I don’t like the sizing. I would prefer $350. I don’t think you want to be getting stacks in here and the range for stacks you give is really wide, $1k to $2k is a massive range.

I would prefer a call on the flop and then a fold on most non-heart turns. I don’t think you get value from anything worse and you have some equity against hands that have you dominated like AK and AQ.

Good result, wrong play unless you think he can fold AK and AQ to that move and you know he has those hands. check raise on a dry board doesn’t rep much and if you do it too often then you get in trouble. I think a decent check raise range is, 44, 66, 46s, A4, A6s as value. As bluffs use A5s, A2s, A3s, and 75s where one of the suits on board matches one in your hand. This gives rather narrow range with decent balance and equity.

Michael
    Participant

To be clear, I had about 1400, button was about 2300 … Just meant we were deep. Thanks for the thoughts, and I think you’re right. The more I think about it, the more stupid it sounds. Cause I don’t want to fold out Kings … A call likely shuts down the c-bets with the ace on the board, and I get the information without the additional risk. Thanks for helping me think it through.

Illiasse
    Participant

As play pre call or 3! are fine depending on V loose or thigh player. Your c/r line doesn’t mean nothing other than set because of your pre play more often call-call pre mean you got smaller pairs wanna see the flop and c/f if you didn’t hit set. c/r in a dry board with tp is putting yourself in the mud because V will not continue with other than 2p or set, and if V fold 2nd best hand you’re missing ton of value. I prefer x/c and continue on a heart or J on the turn. Here your move is not bad either if it fold AQ that good result but stay away from that line in that board texture.

One more thing, there no <<Value-bluffing>> we bet for Value or semi-bluffing or bluffing

DeeKay
    Participant

I don’t think its the worst option. Again, very much depends on the Button’s capability. Seems like a position typical button raise to a limper. So I agree, raise or call is both fine. If we think the button’s range is a little wide, I like the re-raise. Post flop there are two things to consider. First, I think we are always checking to the better. 2nd, if you would have check called, I think you end up check calling the whole way. As the pot grows, I’m not sure the better is going away. He’s not quite sure where you’re at, but he may start to read your check call as pot controlling a weaker ace. By raising, which is a bit scarier, it does play to the range that pocket 6’s or 4’s are there. That’s definitely in your range sitting in the big blind. However, given the board, I’m not so sure I would have re-raised given the safety of the flop if one had flopped a set. You would be giving away too much value. So this hand certainly could have gone a few different ways. Sometimes we just play to the wrong hand but it works anyway. I once checked raised a guy playing pocket Kings… total misread on the flop as I thought he was just top top. Oops. But, because after 8 hours of playing he finally got back to even, he tightened up and folded fearing he was facing a set. Oops. But I did drag a nice pot. Don’t sweat your misread. Worry more about betting for the right amount of value.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar