What the hell am I doing?!

Home Forums Share Your Hand No Limit Holdem 1-2 \ 1-3 What the hell am I doing?!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nick Lowe
    Participant

I’ve watched poker on TV for a long time (product of the “Moneymaker effect”) and absolutely love the game but haven’t had the money to actually play very much over the years. I got the chance to play some 1-2 yesterday and want to know how other, more experienced people think this hand went.

I was playing for about an hour or so and hadn’t seen anything better than pocket deuces when I was on the button (with an agreed upon $4 button straddle) when I ($250 stack) am dealt 9 5 spades. The UTG +2 ($125 stack) player is the only caller and I check to a clip of 9H 5H KD. UTG +2 bets $5, I raise to $15, he calls. Turn is 8C. He checks, I bet $18 and he raises to $40. I call. The river is 2S and it checks through. He shows K, 8 off for a turned 2 pair which obviously beats my flopped 2 pair. How could this have gone differently and how awfully did I play this hand? TIA for the input!

Nick Lowe
    Participant

Obviously that’s supposed to say “flop” not “clip”. Sorry about that

David Wibel
    Participant

Welcome to live poker Nick! I’m no expert (I started playing less than 2 years ago) but I’ll see what there is here.

Pre-Flop: So $4 button straddle, UTG+2 calls you check. Nothing wrong on your end, 95s is a really weak hand and I think it’s a fine check. I don’t think you want to raise and get called, your hand is just really weak and you would need to smash the flop (2 pair, trips, flush or straight) to feel comfortable.

Flop, $8 pot: Great raise, you have smashed the flop, and you can represent a lot of bluffs here with heart draws, gutshot straights. Good sizing given how small the pot is.

Turn $38 pot: Bet is good, I would even say go bigger, like $25 a lot of his hands can still call, Kx, pair plus and you can still represent a lot of bluffs here. His raise should scare you now though bluffing here doesn’t make any sense withy him calling your flop raise then check-raising as a bluff? That said it is a tiny raise, it’s only $22. Even if we limit his hands to those that beat yours, you have about 21% equity. COnsidering you only need to win 23% to be profitable it’s an easy call.

River $96 pot: Total blank, he checks for some reason and you check. I think a check is fine, you beat all 1 pair hands but I don’t think you get called by anything that you are ahead of. He turns over K8o that he limped for some reason…

Keep playing against this guy and from now on if he is the only limper raise him. If he’s limping K8o then he is limping like 40-50% of hands, and it may even be the lowest half of those hands which makes a raise even better.

Overall well played and you lost just about the minimum.

DeeKay
    Participant

I think you played it just fine and David W did a nice analysis. There is no situation where you were folding the turn re-raise and no situation where you were raising. The only information that was missing was the history of the player. Clearly a very weak player as he played a weak hand, limped in, and didn’t bet the river.
    So what was the read on this player? If you thought he was a weak player, raising weak… I might have even raised as you were out of position after the flop and player was showing weakness. But this is more of a skilled play knowing how to play this hand post flop.
    Bottom line is we have no read on the hand as nothing makes sense and I think you valued your bets effectively for max payoff. Good check on the river and be thankfully he didn’t value bet the river as you would have likely called.
    Sometimes you can do everything right but the cards just don’t fall your way.

Nick Lowe
    Participant

Thank you so much for your analysis! Very helpful!

kleindropper
    Participant

Not sure what to say here other than muck 95 preflop and do more pot control with 2 pair; with his raise on the turn he’s could easily be repping 67 or a set of 8s. Never get too excited about two pair.

Nick Lowe
    Participant

Fold preflop??? I’m on the button and I’ve straddled. I was last to act preflop and there wasn’t a raise. Why would I fold preflop?

DeeKay
    Participant

David W did do a nice breakdown and not much to disagree with. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have raised more on the flop. I think we really want to charge this player and he’s not going to fold any decent King. So when he bet $5, I would have made it $20 or $25. Although i do understand that probably would have lost you more money, but I think its the more profitable play in the long run. A few other thoughts:
    – Clearly this is a weak player limping with K-8 off in early position. So player history would have been relevant where a raise out of position would have been better play if we knew he often gets in weak.
    – Generally speaking, big river bets and re-raises are always pretty telling at 1-2. I don’t think you played anything wrong… just something to keep the warning lights on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar