Bad Beat In Multiple Ways

Home Forums Bad Beats Bad Beat In Multiple Ways

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brad Owen
    Keymaster

At some point around 2014 I was playing 2/5 at Bellagio. UTG opens to $15. I call in the big blind with 77. Flop comes J 8 7 rainbow. I check, UTG bets $20, I raise to 60. UTG calls. The turn is the case 7. I bet $75, UTG raises to $200. I jam for about $400 total. UTG calls with pocket 8’s. The river is another 8. I got quad over quaded but that wasn’t the worst part. The worst part was that at that time I was playing 95%+ of my hours at Red Rock where there’s a bad beat jackpot – the loser of the pot would usually get 10’s of thousands of dollars. This was my first session in months at Bellagio where there isn’t a bad beat jackpot. It was rough…

Max
    Participant

Love this one Brad. Next time can you take your shirt off in a video for me?

Brad Owen
    Keymaster

I don’t think the world needs to see that

Tom Bags
    Participant

a few years ago I was playing 1/2 at mohegan sun. bought in for $60 and ran a nice stack up to 500. I’m on the button with 44. There was a drunk guy to the left of me and to the right of me. They were friends, both of them were on their 3rd or 4th rebuy of 200 and their eff stacks were both around 500. UTG opened to 6 and it went call call call call call. I peek at my cards (thinking to myself right now would be a good time to be holding pocket aces or kings) & see two red 4’s. I’m getting like 7:1 on my money so I I call. Now SB, who happens to be one of the drunk guys acts like he’s counting the money in the middle & makes a speech “woah there’s a lot of blinds in the pot, lets make it 10 big blinds total” & raises to $20. He did something similar 2 orbits ago when it was a limped family pot. He raised to 10 holding A2hh. Big Blind folds & At this point some of the OMC’s on the table who were involved in the hand were like “Oh Comon really! or “WOW YOU COULDNT JUST CALL!” I found it pretty amusing..
    Everyone now calls the 20 dollar bet & now its on me. I remembered how the drunk guy did this before with a small suited ace. I was wondering if I could just make it $100 to fold everyone out and get heads up in position with the drunk guy who I can potentially steal the pot from on future streets Or maybe he folds as well and I win the pot right there. Plus there was already around $140 in the middle. I pondered for about 30 secs and called to complete the action…

FLOP comes 4s 4c Ac & I’m stoked I just called instead of raising.

I couldn’t have asked for a better flop. Every time during this session I missed my set when I had a pocket pair, so it felt really good to finally hit the first one and have it smash so well. Drunk guy looks at the board takes a sip of his drink, looks at his cards, looks at the board again and bets $20. Everyone folds except MP1 and the Cutoff.
    pot is 200. I Hollywood for a bit and call as well. Pot is 220
    TURN: As
    drunk guy repeats what he did on the flop, looks at flop, looks at cards, take a sip & slides out 2 stacks of red chips amounting to $200. Pot is now $420, MP1 folds & the cutoff shows the guy to the right of him his hand & lets out a sigh. I was looking at the tv in the room and from the corner of my eye I think I saw him flash the king of clubs. He definitely didn’t have kings because he would have re Raised so he must of had the nut flush draw. He begrudgingly folds. It gets back to me & I’m convinced at this point that he has an A. On the turn the drunk guy put about half his stack in the middle so he is committed at this point. I Hollywood for 30 secs and slide my chips in the middle saying all in. He beats me to the pot. When he snaps, I tell him I have him beat and show him my quad 4’s. His jaw drops and he can’t believe it. he exposes an Ace and slides his cards across the line maybe an inch away from the muck & says “wow nice hand, guess I’m dead” I realize he’s not and so does the table. He has a chance, one measly out. The table went quiet as if preparing for the worst to come. The dealer burns and turns & at this time the drunk guy is collecting himself and ready to leave the room. The dealer flips the river & well you guessed it, he spiked the one outer on me.
    River: Ad
    Everyone on my table lets out a scream. The guy looks at the board and I don’t think he comprehended what just happened. I genuinely believe he thought he was drawing dead on the turn. I couldn’t believe what just happened either. I sat there frozen while my chips were taken and slid to his pile…
    As I’m walking away from the table, I hear someone saying “FLIP HIS OTHER CARD”, because initially the drunk guy had only shown the Ace, I figured it was maybe a face card, but at that point it really didn’t matter what the other card was. His quads were higher than mine & I couldn’t win even if that other card was a candy wrapper. I turn around as the dealer flipping over the 2 of hearts… The whole ride home I was in disbelief. I said to myself, if I had just gone with my instinct and raised to 100 he probably would have folded…

Brandon
    Participant

I play in a monthly neighborhood tournament that has a mix of decent players and people just looking to socialize and drink. Each month we pull around 40 people so it makes it a nice weekday game that’s close to home.

Anyway, was at the final table and a little short stacked. Hand folds around, I’m on the button and 3BB raise with JhQH, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop comes Jd-Qc-Js. BB bets me all in with AQ when he hits top pair. I turn over my boat. Turn comes As, river comes Qs.

He goes runner runner and goes from top pair to Queens full of aces. I was less than pleased.

Definitely not quad over quad or straight flush over straight flush, but it’s certainly one that sticks out in my mind.

Dezzie Bono
    Participant

Re: the running aces hand above
    That’s the worst one I’ve ever heard, we all know a 1 outer is a 50-1 chance but on the flop I think it was actually 500-1 :-0

Worst I’ve had is getting it all in with AK on a flop of A K 2 against A8 and losing to running 8’s which is also 500-1 but with a 100-1 chance of a split.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Dezzie Bono.
    David
    Participant

I’ll tell a bit of a reverse story…. Tournament. Third hand in so everyone is ~~10k. I look down and see 99. Call from hijack. Four callers. Flop comes 889 rainbow. Bingo! Checks to me. I throw a $100 chip in the middle for a slightly less than pot-sized bet (perhaps a little aggressive but I’m trying to establish a table image). Two callers. Turn comes 8. Do you see it coming? Now I’m losing to any 8. Checks through because if I bet I’m only getting called by the case 8. River…. Wait for it…

….
    ….
    ….
    ….
    ….
    ….
    ….
    ….
    ….

The case nine! First caller says, “There’s a boat on the board. I’m all in….”. Second caller folds (??). Call, of course.

Yes, sad as it seems, this was someone else’s bad beat story. The other player simply shakes his head as he walks away after mucking. Probably had an overpair and thought he was reeling me in. Finished second as that was as good as it got in that tourney.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by David.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by David.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar