Did I miss value?………. yeah probably

Home Forums Share Your Hand No Limit Holdem Did I miss value?………. yeah probably

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joe
    Participant

Playing 1/2 no limit at Harrah’s in K.C. Mo. This hand I had Q♧J♧ in the cut off. 2 limps to me I raise to $12, small blind calls all others fold.
    Flop: K♤3◇10♧
    Sb now checks I check behind. My only reason for not betting here was my opponent seemed very interested in the cards when they came out so I didn’t want to bet, get check raised and have to make a tough decision about continuing.
    Turn: 8♧
    Sb now leads for $15. This is where I think my main question about the decision I made is. I elected to flat the $15 and see the river rather than raising. A fold here is out of the question I think only because I felt like he was definitely betting a made hand not a flush draw which I have blockers to. If I do make the decision to raise I’m probably going to make it $60 leaving myself about $175-$200 behind which I can get in on the river if I hit or maybe on the turn if he decides to shove on me after my raise. He was fairly deep probably $650-$700 at the beginning of the hand.
    River: A♧
    He leads for $25, I raise to $50 assuming he probably knows whatever he had is beat now and probably won’t call too much more with the pot size. He complains, tosses in a call then complains a little more after I say I have a flush. He shows K/10 off suit for flopped top 2 which he chose to slow play. Let me know what you guys think, could I have got more on the river? If I raise the turn does he jam and I have to shrug and call or does he just call setting up a river jam for me?

David Wibel
    Participant

Hand breakdown time!

Preflop: Raise is the right idea but I think a bit higher is in order, say $15. It’s the right idea just a bit of a difference on exact sizing.

Flop $31 pot: I would bet this for sure around $20. You only have Q high but have a nice draw to bail you out. If you get check raised then you can fold comfortably since you block all of the draws that exist on this board. Also, what strong hands do you check here? KK maybe but we can get some value from a Ten or maybe draws. Don’t forget as far as your hand is concerned here you only have a draw and are quite likely behind.

Turn $31 pot: Villain bets 1/2 pot and I think the call is good given that you checked the turn. If you raise here about the only value hands you have are slow played sets to me, maybe top 2. Raise here screams bluff. A call allows you to have top or 2nd pair.

River $61: Villain bets a bit smaller, 45% pot. You have 2nd nuts and really the only Kc hand he can have is K9cc. However I would make it a lot larger. QJ and Q9 both missed their straits, the A and the flush make this a good board to bluff at with weak hands. I would raise to $65 or $70 since that is what I am doing if I am bluffing. So many draws got there , both QJ and flush and an over card came in but we need to get as much as possible.

I understand the Flop check was a live read but I think you will miss value not betting that overall not betting the flop prevents bluffing on later streets and will absolutely prevent us getting stacks in. Especially on the Turn you have a massive draw. It is entirely possible that your opponent check raises you on the flop and you fold, all though on the flop against this exact hand you have 32% equity which means if you bet $15 and he raises to $45, you are getting around the right price to call, $30 to win $90 and even against a set its close with 27%.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar