Folding top of range preflop

Home Forums Share Your Hand No Limit Holdem Folding top of range preflop

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Noah
    Participant

1/2 212 EFF
    Hero in MP with AQo
    I raise 3x BB
    1 call
    1 3bet all in to 20
    Villain 4 bet raise 40
    Folds to me, villain isn’t very compitant and I’ve never played with him, so I’m only putting him on KK-AA.
    I ask for a chip count because it’s either a fold or all in I feel. I elect to fold and player to my left folds.
    3bet all in shows 10s and villain shows ATo.
    I would’ve won the pot when a Q hit the turn.
    What would you have done differently?

John S
    Participant

Pretty hard to think you’re ahead of both players here, especially when villain 4-bets and you have money behind against him. I think this is a good fold at this level. AQ suited is maybe a call, AK is a call, and JJ+ probably a call. I think one of them is likely to have a bigger pair or AK here so you’re drawing slim.

Hans Griese
    Participant

Out of curiosity, you say he is not a competent player, so why assume he’s that strong? a min-raise 4-bet over an all-in seems weak to me. What was the villain’s stack size?

It really depends a lot on the table dynamic. If its a tight table, then a fold is great. If its a loose table (like it seems to be based off one hand), then a call is ok. A fold is definitely still ok too – what John says is spot on.

Don’t be too results-oriented when analyzing your play. What are you doing on the flop if villain shoves? you’re putting his range ahead of yours, you didn’t improve, and probably were folding then to any flop bet

Noah
    Participant

When I say not competent I’m referring in terms of I don’t think he can 3bet/4bet light. His stack was roughly $90. The table was fairly tight as usual and nobody was getting out of line. I’ll be honest I was result orientated this session because I lost mist of my stack, and a friend loaned me some money with a 50/50 chop of any profit

Hans Griese
    Participant

Well that all makes sense then. Absolutely a good fold, but I get how it goes sometimes. Forget the “what-ifs”, they’ll kill you.

Good luck next session!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar