How would you play this differently?

Home Forums Share Your Hand No Limit Holdem How would you play this differently?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cher Scarlett
    Participant

http://mysmp.me/h_lPf

I have two thoughts, but would love the input.

🍒

Narajin007
    Participant

This is a very interesting hand. He limped A Q. It would be hard to put it in his range. I would not have bet the turn and if he bet turn…I would fold. What are your thoughts?

Cher Scarlett
    Participant

He wouldn’t have bet on the turn, for sure. I do think I should have respected the flush draw and checked to him there, and I’m not sure he would have shoved me all-in, because I never really represented I had a straight draw. My bet was not necessarily insignificant, but I don’t think I ever gave myself the opportunity to test what he was putting me on. Then if I do make the call there, it’s not so damaging as ending my tournament life there.

The other thought I had was since he limped in, testing his hand strength pre-flop. My stack was high enough that I could have represented a better hand in my position then, and then bet at the flop since he would surely call 3bb raise with AQdd. Had I invested the 900 chips earlier in the hand, I could have put him on what was certainly a much better hand than mine before I put myself in a position to hit a straight.

My main issue, I think, was attempting to gather information on the turn when I had a draw to a hand I’d likely not be able to get away from. I put him on hitting a pair (not the K) or even hitting two pair (again, not the K) because he called the 900, and not at all that he had put me on TT 66 99 69 T6 or T9 and was willing to invest 900 on AA AQ or any diamond.

John S
    Participant

I don’t really see anything wrong with the way you played it here. Your turn bet could really be any pair (or two pair) combo since you just checked your BB and you can have anything in your range. Plus UTG could have all sorts of things he just folds here (A2-A5, 45, etc). So I like the semi-bluff here since you can win a pot no one has shown interest in.

When you make the straight, the only thing you have to worry about is the backdoor flush. I would have jammed here as well. You can’t really feel bad about him hitting the flush. A losing player and a play that loses money long-term and got a miracle run-out. No clue what this guy is doing limping AQ suited. I wouldn’t feel too bad about it – just an unlucky run-out against a terrible player.

Cher Scarlett
    Participant

Thanks John! It just hurts cuz it was my first time investing $1000 in a tournament (I’ve been playing for 13 years!!) and I was really hoping to get to the final table. Hopefully next time I get unlucky in a less precarious situation.

John S
    Participant

That was in a $1k tourney? Ouch. This feels like a play from one of the $75 daily tournaments. I guess on the plus side even the bigger tournaments have terrible players all around.

Cher Scarlett
    Participant

Yea, some people just have money to throw out the window, I guess. :/ I have a decent poker bankroll, but that $1000 definitely stings. I’m hoping to one day be able to devote more time to maybe quitting my job and getting into commentating, but that did NOT make me feel confident in the future lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar