Lost it all. Trust my intuition next time?

Home Forums Share Your Hand Lost it all. Trust my intuition next time?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Duncan
    Participant

Got into a juicy hand yesterday that I felt pretty bad about afterward. Here it is:

.5/1 on Pokernow (with people I know from live games in the Before Time), 8 handed, effective stacks 111.50. Hero opens to 5.50 from button with Ad8d after two limps. SB and both limpers call.

Pot 23.00, flop: 5d 6d 7s

SB (a solid regular at these games) leads into the three of us for 14.25. Both limpers fold, hero calls.

Pot 51.50, turn: 5d 6d 7s 6c

SB checks. Hero (stack 91.75) bets 30, villain calls.

Pot 111.50, river: 5d 6d 7s 6c 9h

SB checks. Hero shoves (61.75), villain calls and shows 7h 6h.

Calling it a cooler and walking away feels inadequate to me because alarm bells were going off in my hand when villain checked the turn. His lead into three people on the flop screams strength (in retrospect), but then when the turn pairs the board, he’s suddenly… suspiciously… no longer worried about any of the draws completing? I got too attached to my draw — which became my straight — especially given his check on the river that I ignored my intuition here. He trapped me good.

So the question is, how much should I listen to my gut/intuition next time? I don’t want to go into passive mode with big draws like this, or even start folding straights facing aggression from bets on a paired board. At the same time, I don’t want to ignore red flags when my poker subconscious is waving them.

Would love to hear folks’ thoughts on this hand in particular, as well as on the Ignoring Alarm Bells issue in general.

Trey
    Participant

In general you have to trust your gut. A lot of times that is your subconscious trying to tell you something you have picked up, but maybe you aren’t aware of. I know it is hard to fold the big draws but if your gut is screaming and you think your opponent could have the nuts listen. I fold a lot of decent hands in cash games. I have likely lost out on some money. I have also saved myself some money. If you trust you are the better player than just wait for a better spot imo. It is tough though.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Trey.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar