My Saddest Tourney Hands

Home Forums Bad Beats My Saddest Tourney Hands

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Phil
    Participant

WSOP 2011 I think, I have approx 12-15k roll, playing a couple times a week in TX (mostly $1/2) and coming out to LV a few times a year. I decide to fire a $1500 tourney with about 3000 runners, we are about 10-15 players from the money and I have 35bb. Villain has 38bb and is a 60 something rec who is UTG and limps. Everyone folds to me on the button, I raise to 4bb with KK and he thinks for a minute and jams!! I sigh and think for a minute having seen the old guy limp reraise with AA move more than a few times. Ultimately, even though I desperately wanted to cash I figured that I cant really fold KK so I stick my chips in. He shows 99, flop K93 rainbow, brick turn and river 9. I was crushed as I really wanted to cash my first bracelet event of could have folded my way to the money.

Fast-forward to 2015, and I became a regular running up to Choctaw, OK a couple times a year for various tournament series and the juicy cash games. My buddies and I decide to fire the $1k main event (10k starting stack) and somehow by the 100/200/25 level I have 35k (average was about 13k at this point). So adding to the rush, our table gets broken and I get moved to a table with 4 of the biggest fish that I knew at the Choctaw crowd and somehow all 3 of the ones in my final hand have me covered or close. V1: 37k (UTG + 2), V2: 38k (Hihack) and V3: 33k (Btn) All 3 of these players were extremely loose and generally passive.

I look down at 6s7s UTG and open to 450. I know this is way too loose but I justified it as wanting to get in there with these weak players and extremely deep stacks. These days I would just fold PF.

V1 3 bets to 1200, V2 calls and V3 calls, getting a great price and closing the action I toss in the extra 750.

Flop is A58 rainbow, I check and V1 bets 2500, V2 and V3 call quickly and I make the easy call. V1 is not a frequent 3 bettor and my perception is that she would not Cbet without at least AQ, so I assume she has AQ, AK or AA.

Turn is a 9 and complete the rainbow so we turn the stone nuts. I check and V1 jams! V2 calls quickly and V3 calls, I snap and show the nuts. All of their plays are pretty ridiculous, but welcome to OK/TX.

V1 and V3 both have AK and are drawing dead, V2 has A9 and a guy I was friendly with at the table says he folded Jd9d, so V2 is drawing to the 9 of spades. Of course, it comes on the river or I would not be telling this story. So, I managed to lose a 650bb pot for probably a 3x chip-lead early in a big event 🙂

The silver lining to this story, is despite being MASSIVELY tilted at the result, I decided to register for a $350 consolation tourney and ended up running like God and winning it!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar