Straight on the Flop

Home Forums Share Your Hand Pot Limit Omaha Straight on the Flop

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LVRaiders2020
    Participant

Interested in getting people’s thoughts on this hand in a 1-2 PLO game. My hand – 2h2d3h4d. Limped around to me at the button so I bet the pot. Flop As2s5c. UTG+2 pots. I re-pot all-in with a straight and smallest set. BB calls. Original raiser calls and asks to run it twice, we agree. Board 1 runs out 77 and board 2 runs out 88. Original raiser had 55Q10. Not sure how he called pre-flop, but he takes down a big pot! Any thoughts from the Forum?

Michael
    Participant

Personally I would have folded your hand pre-flop, even from the button, unless it was PLO 8 or better.

Flopped straights are about the equivalent of flopped middle pair in hold ’em. Omaha is a major drawing game and you will be called by all manner of hands that include two spades, especially if at least one is paint. Plus middle set as you found. Top set is unlikely as you would have probably been re-potted pre with all but the most ragged AAxx hands.

As played, however, it is just tough luck that the board paired on both run-outs. Statistically, you were behind the whole way though. Against just that hand, you were about 36% vs 63% for Villain. After the flop, even though you hold a straight, your only live re-draw is the case deuce. Of course as you are analyzing at game speed you will also consider board pairing outs to make a boat which unfortunately just aren’t good in this specific case where are you dominated by middle set. But you do pick up equity on the flop getting now 45%. The money goes in at that point so even though you jump to a 63% favorite on both turns, only leaving board-pairing outs (other than the case 2) to beat you.

Play around with some simulators and check out how weak the equity is with a flopped straight versus a set and flopped straight versus a flush draw. You may be surprised how vulnerable the hand is and how unlikely it is to be a favorite. Now that doesn’t mean don’t bet – but it does mean err toward bet-call or check-call versus bet-reraise or check-raise.

Zach berry
    Participant

Everything is standard except maybe pre those hands play poorly in mutliway pots..you literally flopped the dream bottom set and the nuts..becsuse you flopped a set also rebombimg flop is what you should be doing you always are hoping to get it in vs the nuts and freeroll..you block a lot of boars pairs against 55 your in beautiful shape you win that way more than you lose just a great spot that went bad

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar