Top set in 5/10

Home Forums Vlog Hands Top set in 5/10

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brad Owen
    Keymaster

Hey guys,

This is a hand from a vlog I did about a month ago in a cash game session at Bellagio. I think it’s really interesting. Tell me if you would’ve played the hand the same or if you would’ve done anything differently and why. I’ll give a bit more explanation about my thought process on here than I did in my vlog after some people respond. I’m looking forward to discussing with everyone.

http://www.sharemypair.com/smpweb/smpviewdetails/feed_id/40106

John S
    Participant

That is a really interesting hand. Flop and pre-flop are pretty standard. When he flats the flop, I’m not sure how much information you can get from it because there is still someone left to act behind him. I think he’s calling here with any 10. He’s probably raising his 2 pair and sets, but not his straights, straight draws, and pair + draws.

The 4 of diamonds make thing interesting. He could have a lot of semi-bluffs here – AT and KT (both suited to diamonds and even without diamonds). He could have JT or T9, but not in diamonds since you block Jd and 9d is on the board. T8dd is possible. Hard to range a player without knowing anything about him, but I imagine all of these hands are in the range of a 5-10 reg against a CO raise.

Hands that beat you are QT (probably all 16 suited/unsuited combos depending on the player) and T7 (probably only the 4 suited combos). So you have 20 combos of hands that beat you. Even then, you still have a 20% chance to fill up on the river.

There are a ton of semi-bluff combos of hands out there he could be raising with. I think he’s got a lot of tens in his range that could be raising with, and 3 combos of suited tens (AT, KT, and T8). Again, hard to say how many of these draws are in his range, but I think he’s got enough semi-bluff here that your jam makes sense. I think you can win the hand outright here a lot, you get call by the flush + straight combos, and you still have 10 outs to win if you’re behind.

I don’t fault your play and I don’t think I would/could have done anything different. I think there is a certain player type that I don’t go broke here to, but there aren’t many. And since this is 5-10, I imagine most of the regs at this level are raising here with more than just the nuts.

Brad Owen
    Keymaster

Thanks John. Those were pretty much my thoughts as well. There are quite a few hands I’m beating that may call a shove or that I want to at least charge to see a river. Ultimately I have the third nuts and if I’m beat I’ll have a plenty of outs.

Han
    Participant

I know that preflop raise size. 3x + x for every limper.

200BB and making top-set, I’m going with it too. Villains c/call flop and then c/raise on the turn looks so much like a set or 2 pair from the blinds. Such a cooler to run into a flopped straight. Sorry Brad. I honestly would’ve done the same thing and packed up for the day.

William Arrington
    Participant

He flopped the nutz. I dont think you could have gotten away from this. The odds of being flopped a made straight with connecting cards is about 1.3%. Not sure if unconnected is the same

Doughboi
    Participant

Man I suck at this game. I really would have just called after he went 500+ after the turn. I don’t think I’m ever folding on the river anyway so I probably should just get it in on the turn. The check raise on the turn wreaks of strength. What did Neeme say about how he would play it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar