Would you have played differently??

Home Forums Share Your Hand Would you have played differently??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chad
    Participant

1-3 NL Holdem
    I’m in middle position, limps to me.
    I look down at Pocket 5’s.
    I bet 20 and everyone folds except the player to my right.
    Flop comes 5 Q Q rainbow.
    Player to my right checks,
    I bet 30, he calls after tanking for about 30 seconds
    Turn comes 2 of spades. he bets 25, I raise to 55. he calls a bit quicker
    River is a blank. 7 I believe.
    Player to my right checks, I bet 60 he calls
    He shows Q 2. So he turns a better full house.
    is there any way anyone would be getting away from this hand? should I have bet bigger on the flop? is there any chance he’s folding a set of Qs?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Chad. Reason: bet size error
    John S
    Participant

Just a cooler. If he’s calling pre-flop with Q2, he’s not folding a QQ flop, even if you jam. I’m definitely going broke on this board.

Villain is just a terrible player. How does he not raise turn or river? You should never have Q5 and Q7 here, so he has the effective nuts.

Play pots with this guy, he’s a fish.

David Wibel
    Participant

I’m losing more money probably, I would have raised to ~$70 or $75 on the turn and depending on how deep we were shoved river. Flop sizing is fine, we expect any Q to call and a lot of pairs will as well. No way do you fold here… ever.

Now however I would really respect his raises if this becomes a pattern. Calling stations are just that, calling stations. They hardly ever raise and when they do they may be reduced to the literal nuts. So yeah play with this guy but when he raises run for the hills as fast as you can.

Chad
    Participant

Thanks for your input. I thought other than maybe pushing a bit more cash into the pot I played this like most people would have. If the role were reversed I couldn’t see myself folding with a Flopped set either

Brad Owen
    Keymaster

I definitely would’ve lost more money as well. I think you need to be betting more on the turn and river so extract maximum value from trip queens, but the flop bet is fine. We don’t want him to fold a hand like the one he has on the flop. We want to bet a reasonable amount that he could call with other worse holdings as well. He sucked out so that’s very unlucky. There’s no reason for him to ever have a better boat with this action and runout. His preflop hand selection is very poor. I hope you get them next time!

Eric
    Participant

There’s really no way to get away from your hand. The only hands I put him on is AQ(depending on table play and images) Q8s-KQs, QTo+, 22-TT or Ax+. You block Q5. Q2 is such a poor starting hand it’s hard to imagine villian playing that hand out of position to a raise. Even though you would’ve lost if I think your river bet could use some tweaking. Remember if he calls there and you do win, which you will a large % of the time, your large bets or over bet range won’t have as many nut type hands. In this situation an overbet or a PSB may be in order if you believe he’s got Qx. There really isn’t that many nut type or made hands he could put you on if he has a Queen. You’d be betting with 9 combos of 22,55,77 and you could only have realistically 12 combos of QJ, KQ and AQ and 2 combos of QTs or Q9s. There’s a ton of hands in your range that didn’t get there. Overbetting is something that can confuse your opponent and when called could pay off. As you can see this would be a moment where I’d be adding to someone else’s stack but it’s going to happen.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Eric.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar